With Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day all coming up, patriotic desserts are the perfect dessert for any backyard barbecues, fireworks watching parties, summer evening sit outs. You name it!
Flag Cake #1
- Easy, peasy, two bowls of cake mix, make one blue and one red with food coloring.
- Take half of each of those and cook normally in a cake pan.
- Let all four cake pieces cool, then alternate with white buttercream frosting.
- Expert Chef? The stars are colored fondant, cut with a cookie cutter.
Flag Cake #2
Stand back! Its not as hard as it looks! 🙂 Actually its an adorably easy trick! Thanks to A Stove With a House Around It!
They have pics to illustrate and everything!
Flag Cupcake #1
- Split the cake mix between 3 bowls, and add the food coloring.
- Spoon them into the cupcake cups with white cake in the middle and bake normally.
- Simple white frosting and sprinkles. Ta da!
Flag Cupcake #2
Make a flag on top, with candy! Use the method detailed in Cupcake #1, then use Twizzler’s pull and peel twists in Red. Blue or white star sprinkles are always available this time of year and viola!
I left the hardest for last, but this is just creative use of icing. If you don’t have piping bags, just snip the corner off a ziploc bag. That may prevent the specific designs in blue featured here, but red and white strips would be easy. Finish with white sprinkles!